The location of Luxury Villa Gabriela is unbeatable, with easy access to all of the island’s attractions and activities. The crystal-clear waters of the Adriatic Sea are just a short walk away, and the nearby town of Lumbarda offers a range of dining and wining options, shopping, and cultural experiences. Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway, a family vacation, or a relaxing escape, Luxury Villa Gabriela is the perfect choice. With its luxurious amenities, stunning views, and prime location, Villa Gabriela is sure to provide guests with a truly unforgettable experience.
Traditional wines on Korčula Island
The most popular wines produced on Korčula Island are:
- Plavac Mali: Plavac Mali is a red wine that is made from the Plavac Mali grape variety, which is grown in the coastal regions of Croatia, including Korčula Island. It is a full-bodied wine with a high alcohol content, typically ranging from 13-15% alcohol by volume (ABV). The wine has a strong tannic structure and rich, complex flavors of dark fruit such as black cherry, blackberry, and plum. Plavac Mali is often aged in oak barrels, which can impart additional flavors of vanilla, spice, and toast.
- Pošip: Pošip is a white wine that is made from the Pošip grape variety, which is indigenous to the region around Korčula Island. It is a crisp, fresh wine with a light body and bright acidity. The wine has flavors of citrus fruit such as lemon and grapefruit, as well as notes of stone fruit like peach and apricot. Pošip is known for its balanced and harmonious flavor profile and is often enjoyed as a refreshing aperitif or with light seafood dishes.
- Grk: Grk is a white wine that is made from the Grk grape variety, which is unique to the region around Korčula Island. The wine is known for its high acidity, which gives it a crisp and refreshing character. It has flavors of green apple and pear, as well as floral aromas. Grk is a light-bodied wine that is often enjoyed as an aperitif or with lighter dishes, such as salads or seafood.
These three wines are the most well-known and widely produced on the Korčula Island, but there are also other local varieties and blends that are worth trying for those interested in exploring the diverse range of wines produced on Korčula.
Best wineries on Korčula Island
Some of the best wineries to visit on Korčula Island include:
- Bire Winery: Bire Winery is a family-run winery that produces high-quality Plavac Mali and Pošip wines using traditional winemaking methods. Visitors can take tours of the winery and taste the wines, as well as learn about the winemaking process.
- Bačić Winery: Bačić Winery is a winery located on the island of Korčula, in Croatia. It is known for producing high-quality wines made from local grape varieties, including the white wine variety Grk and the red wine variety Plavac Mali. The winery has a long history of wine production, dating back to the 19th century.
- Zure Winery: Zure Winery is a family-run winery that specializes in the production of Plavac Mali and Pošip wines. Visitors can take tours of the winery, taste the wines, and learn about the history of winemaking on Korčula Island.
These are some of the best wineries to visit on Korčula Island, but there are many others that are worth exploring as well. When visiting the wineries, it’s always a good idea to make an appointment in advance to ensure that a tasting is available.
Wine tours at Korčula Island
Wine tours are a popular activity for visitors to Korčula Island, as the island is known for its excellent wines and rich winemaking heritage.
There are several ways to experience wine tours on Korčula Island, including:
- Guided tours: There are several tour companies that offer guided wine tours of the Korčula island, taking visitors to visit wineries, taste the wines, and learn about the winemaking process. These tours typically include transportation, tastings at multiple wineries, and a knowledgeable guide who can provide information and answer questions.
- Self-guided tours: For those who prefer to explore at their own pace, there are many self-guided wine tours available on Korčula Island. Visitors can rent a car or use public transportation to visit wineries, taste the wines, and explore the vineyards on their own.
- Wine tasting events: Throughout the year, there are several wine tasting events held on Korčula Island, where visitors can sample a range of local wines and meet the winemakers. These events are a great way to experience the island’s wine culture and learn about the wines in a fun and social setting.
These are some of the ways to experience wine tours on Korčula Island, and visitors can choose the option that best fits their interests and schedule. Whether guided or self-guided, wine tours are a great way to learn about the island’s winemaking heritage and taste the excellent wines produced in the region. Book your stay at Villa Gabriela!